Saturday, May 19, 2012

How to make Cut-Out Banners.

I'm going to show you how to make this: out of this: 
I tried to do this with GIMP using this tutorial, it took me like three days to flip the brushes and figure out how to install the fram, and then I got the idea that I should try to do it with PF. It took me ten minutes with PF.
Of course, for this banner or wallpaper or whatever it is, I used other tutorials, too:
- This blending method to put Lucy Hale on it.
- This blending method to put Jasper on it.
In this tutorial I'll show you how to make the frame.
You're going to need 3 images: a to-be-framed image, a cute little brush and a grungy frame.
1. Open PF, go to File-Open and find the image you want to be framed, then go to Image-Image Size. Write it's size down or try to keep it in mind.
You have the size? Good.
Close the image. You don't need it for now.
2. Go to File-New and open a new image with white background. Make sure that it's slightly bigger than the to-be-framed image. In my case, the to-be-framed image is 800x450, so the new image will be 820x494. Make it transparent using this. (I left it white so you can see)
3. Open the brush you want to use. Mine is this:
Make sure to resize it so it's not too big.
Go to Edit-Copy, then go to your white image and Edit-Paste Special-Mask.
4. Move your brush to the corner you want it in, flip if necessary (using these), then repeat the steps so you have a brush in each corner.
Your image should look like this: 
5. Open the frame you want to use. Mine is this: 
Resize it. My image with the brushes is 820x494, so the frame will be 800x496.
Now go to Edit-Copy, then go to your image with the brushes and Edit-Paste Special-Mask. Move the brushes around until it looks good.
Your image probably looks like this:

I used the Eraser Tool to make it look more 'believable', if you know what I mean. It looks like this.
6. Open your to-be-framed image, go to Edit-Copy. Activate your image with the brushes and the frame, and click on the first layer, it's name is Background.

Go to Edit-Paste and move everything around until it looks good. Use the Eraser Tool if needed, and then click on this to get rid of the white spaces. It's better if you use GIMP for that, though. Add text, effects, whatever you want, and you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment